Single Moms on Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's day and I was unusually emotional. I saw lot of thank you post, appreciative  messages and sweet gestures in my Facebook feeds.  Don't get me wrong, I was not bitter, I was    just emotional.

Mother's day was supposed to be a celebration of me being a mom, but without somebody to appreciate me for a job well done, how will I know if I deserve to celebrate this special day? I felt a little guilt, a little sadness and a little awkward all at the same time. I can't just ask my little lady to acknowledge all the things that I have done for her, and force her to make me feel special, can I? 

As a single mom, I guess its my responsibility to make myself feel loved and to make myself feel complete. Cause even when you have family and friends to support you, to cheer you up, at the end of the day, it will be just you. All alone, with all the burdens, with all the responsibilities and with all the guilt. 

Sometimes I feel that it is unfair, cause I know I deserve to be surprised, showered with gifts, to be given a time out on all house chores just for a day, just on Mother's day, just like any other moms. 

Yesterday, I felt really scared. How will my little lady know how a woman should be treated by a man, not just on special occasions but on everyday life, if she does not have someone to show it to her? I feel that I should not be celebrating Mother's day, cause I fail at the very important thing a mother could give a daughter, that is a complete family.

Yesterday, it was all mixed emotions. I wanted to be grateful for all the blessings, but I also wanted to break down and cry. Despite being strong, I know that I am weak.

But then I realized that I was not alone. There are a lot of single moms out there. Some chose to be single, some were cheated on, some are widows, etc., but hey, with or without partners in life, I'm still a mom. I carried a baby in my womb for nine months, I had an excruciating  labor pains, I gave a life to this world, and I hold a full time job I can never quit on, and if that's not enough reason to celebrate, then I don't know what is.

To all single moms out there, its not compulsory to be a wonderwoman, don't feel ashamed to be weak and selfish at times, to cry when needed and to feel guilty if you want to just have a time out. Believe me, it just means that you are human. 

On Mother's day, I hope you received a letter from whoever appreciates you, a cup of coffee from an officemate, sweet greetings from your Facebook friends, a pat at the back from your close friends, a bouquet of roses from someone special, a sumptuous meal from your family, and a lot of hugs and kisses from your kids. 

Your role as a mother can never be replaced by any one. You are important, WE are important. 
Let's just think of it this way, with our children by our side, with the pretty smiles on their faces, and sweet "I love you" we received,  EVERYDAY is a happy Mother's day.



So to all the moms, single or not, Happy Mother's Day!


Comments