Like Mother Like Daughter


The other night, I was putting my daughter to sleep. For some reason, I was complaining to myself out loud how bloated I was feeling and how my tummy really hurt without realizing that my daughter was listening. And then, she sat down, raised my shirt and started massaging my tummy just like what I always do when she has stomachaches. She looked at me and asked, " Mommy, no more pain now?", my heart just melted and I was so touched by her gesture.

That same night I was checking my facebook, and she kept looking at me telling me to stop texting and just go to sleep. She was scolding me the way I scold her every time she does something else while I put her to bed.


A few weeks back, I helped her put on her clothes and asked her to choose between the white and pink shoes, and when I came running down the stairs to check on her, she was wearing two different shoes on both her foot and asked me which do I like better for her dress, the white or the pink one. This is all because whenever I go out, I always ask for her opinion on my clothes and shoes.

Now, it makes me feel guilty of the times I had to shout at her to make her listen to what I want her to do. I hope she doesn't grow up shouting at other people (okay, I think should lessen that!).These situations made me realize that she highly takes note of every little thing I do for her. This scares me because I know that I am not a perfect mother, and whatever actions my daughter make is a reflection of me. I see myself in her, the way she talks, the ways she acts, the way she expresses her concern, she resembles me. Being a mother is really scary, you want to be perfect in your daughter's eyes even if you know that there is no such thing as perfection.



Nobody taught me how to become a mother, but everyday is a learning process. I think that I have not done enough to make my daughter feel that she is everything to me, but hey, its just been three years, and so far so good ( I can give myself a pat at the back, I guess). And now, I can honestly tell that my daughter looks up to me, and its something really fulfilling and rewarding, cause it simply means that in her eyes, i'm actually doing a great job! 

Comments